Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday April 30 2012



Sadly, this will be the last Monday report for awhile. I've had to go back up to full-time in order to prepare courses for the fall term and to teach the intensive summer course in high school English in June. I'll try to make a quick appearance on May 28th and then I'll be back in July. Hal and I will continue to read the plays and on weekends I'll scribble as much as I can so there will be things to post when I get back. Until then, and always, Shakespeare lives!

From the Shakespeare Almanac:
  • On April 25 Shakespeare was both baptized (1564) and buried (1616).

Shakespeare sightings:
  • In the TV comedy Högklackat (High heeled shoes) one of the characters finds herself at a party of English-speaking people. Knowing almost no English herself, she pretends by saying knowingly, “Brighton!”, and “Tottenham!” and, of course, “Shakespeare!” She fools no one....
  • In the Swedish book 101 historiska myter by Åke Persson and Thomas Oldrup, they blame Shakespeare for the myth that Julius Caesar said, “Et tu, Brute”.
  • In The Hunger Games the heroine Katniss and her on-screen if not true-life sweetheart Peeta are referred to as “star-crossed lovers”. Hmmmm, I wonder which play that's from...
  • Rufus Wainwright has released a new CD and in the reviews Dagens Nyheter refers to his renditions of Shakespeare's sonnets with the insulting words “monotone piano-pounding”. Hmrph. I love Wainwright's Shakespearean interpretations, especially http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngk4sRQ2C-Y&feature=related
  • In the weekly “Faxtra”, a sheet of news notices produced for students of English and provided to me by my colleague M.H., we are informed that research shows that All's Well that End's Well was co-authored by Thomas Middleton. DN has a notice about this too. Didn't we know that already? Or am I thinking of other plays?


Further, this week:
  • Continued reading aloud with Hal: The Merry Wives of Windsor.
  • Ordered: Companion to Shakespeare: the Comedies. Edited by Jean E. Howard et.al.
  • Listened to: Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet and pictured the Russian ballet performance we have on DVD the whole while.
  • Posted: A review of Shakespeare Our Contemporary by Jan Kott.
  • Agreed upon: with James H.-S. of the Open Shakespeare blog to write an intro to The Merry Wives of Windsor.
  • Accepted as: “fully, totally, officially onboard with the world's most popular Shakespeare blog. “  My first post on Blogging Shakespeare should appear soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment