Monday, December 4, 2023

Absolute Shakespeare

ABSOLUTE SHAKESPEARE

By and with: Malin Sternbrink & Niklas Atterhall

Soppteatern, Kulturhuset, Stockholm

Seen with friend LJ (thank you!) 11 November, 2023

 

A melancholy man in a black overcoat, alone on the stage playing 16th century music on a lute. A woman in red, high-heeled shoes, big 80's hair, enters the stage, singing 'What a Feeling.'

Man: 'To be or not to be...' Woman: 'I want to dance with somebody...'

Shakespeare meets the 1980s.

It starts light-heartedly with new love, quotes from Hamlet and A Midsummer Night's Dream interwoven with 'Let's Dance,' 'A Lady in Red,' 'Kiss.' Then comes jealousy. 'Every breath you take.' 'The Green-Eyed Monster'. Love is not enough. Sadness, betrayal, anguish.

 

Many of my favorite quotes from Shakespeare are included, both in English and Swedish. 'I have of late and wherefore I know not lost all my mirth.' 'Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow...', 'there was a star danced, under that was I born'. Jealousy and infidelity? Sternbrink and Atterhall use one of Shakespeare's best scenes: Otello, Emilia explains to Desdemona why it is just as right for women to be unfaithful as men.

 

Also ingenious is that it was Ophelia who quoted 'I have of late...' not Hamlet, and 'Take me to a nunnery,' instead of Hamlet's 'Get thee to a nunnery.' Hamlet says, 'She stared at me...' instead of Ophelia's, 'He stared at me.'

 

Sternbrink and Atterhall have put on a brilliant, funny, emotional and beautiful interpretation of Shakespeare that shows, as many have done, that Shakespeare is as relevant as ever.

 

If you live in Stockholm, see it.

Absolute Shakespeare (kulturhusetstadsteatern.se)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment