In memory of Harold Leighton Berglund 18 October 1945 – 26 February 2023
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd.
And again, a year after Russia invaded the Ukraine, I repeat what I have repeated for far too long:
‘O war! thou son of hell’ O Putin! Thou son of hell! Our thoughts and support are still needed to the people of Ukraine, and the people of Russian who hate this war. Protest in any way you can! And don’t give up hope. ‘True hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings.’
In this time of turmoil and hope I give you this familiar promo for the book Shakespeare calling – the book. Indie authors like me always need support, even now when book signings and lectures can again be scheduled. Only on the Internet can I reach people like you, who are interested in Shakespeare would like to support the Shakespeare Calling project. I do so hope you will help me by ordering the book online. Any sales I make of this book will go directly to Doctors without Borders for their work in Ukraine as long as the war lasts. Just let me know and I’ll send the money forthwith. You can also order directly from me. Just write me an email. Thank you.
Anyone from Ukraine – send me an email and I will send you the book free of charge.
The book is available for those of you in Great Britain and parts of Europe on this site:
Also available on http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Calling-book-Ruby-Jand/dp/9163782626/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436073737&sr=1-1&keywords=Ruby+Jand+shakespeare+calling
Or in Sweden
or Adlibris. Or contact the publisher firstname.lastname@example.org
I would be thrilled to get an email from you if you bought the book. email@example.com
- In the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter there is a long report on the director Staffan Valdemar Holm who explains in detail how Shakespeare’s plays can be improved by cutting all the dead weight. He is currently directing The Tempest in the Royal Dramatic Theatre in Stockholm.
- In The Lincoln Highway, a novel by Amor Towles, one of the characters quotes from Macbeth then goes on to explain the play to an eight-year-old boy and tell about his actor father. He goes on the refer to Shakespeare throughout the book, but that doesn’t help. It’s still boring and I only skimmed the last half.
Films with a Shakespeare connection seen this month - see reviews on https://rubyjandsfilmblog.blogspot.com/
- Reservoir Dogs - Tim Roth is in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
- Darkest Hour - Shakespeare connection: Gary Oldman is in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Kristin Scott Thomas is in Richard III. Stephen Dillane is in Hamlet. Joe Armstrong is in The Hollow Crown.
- The Lincoln Lawyer - John Leguizamo is in Cymbeline and Romeo & Julia
- Belfast - Branagh (many), Dench (several), Colin Morgan is in The Tempest, which we saw at the Globe in London 2013.
Further since last time: quiet Shakespeare month
Posted this month:
- This report
Shakespeare Calling – the book is promoted by http://shakespearesallskapet.se/
Read more about my alter ego’s books, in one of which Shakespeare appears live and in person, on: